VERDICCHIO

The history of a grape variety that goes hand-in-hand with the history of the Cooperative and marks the fundamental stages in the development of Colonnara.

  • 1959
    19 wine growers establish Colonnara
    Colonnara was founded in 1959 with the name of Cantina Sociale di Cupramontana and it immediately enjoyed rapid growth.
  • 1966
    First bottles to hit the market
    The first bottled Verdicchio went on the market, with its label signed by Bruno da Osimo.
  • 1968
    D.O.C. Recognition
    The Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi was recognised as a production with controlled designation of origin (D.O.C.).
  • 1970
    Launch of sparkling wine production
    The first Verdicchio sparkling wine was produced using the Metodo Martinotti thanks to the sparkling wine tradition of Cupramontana that was restored by Luigi Ghislieri, thereby launching the production of Colonnara sparkling wines. In the same year, the Company took part in its first International Wine Fair in Germany.
  • 1980
    Production of sparkling wine with the Metodo Classico
    The first Verdicchio sparkling wine was produced using the Metodo Classico.
  • 1982
    Gold Medal for the Brut Metodo Classico
    The Colonnara Brut Metodo Classico Millesimato sparkling wine received the Medaglia d'Oro, a prestigious award given at the 5th Italian Wine Tasting Fair in Torgiano.
  • 1985
    The first Verdicchio selection procedures were started
    The year 1985 was an extremely important year. The name of the winery was changed to COLONNARA Società Cooperativa Agricola a responsabilità limitata. In November the “Colonnara Brut Metodo Classico Millesimato 1982” sparkling wine was awarded the Medaglia d'Oro. Production was started in the same year of two wines that have marked the history of the Company: the Verdicchio Cuprese and the red Tornamagno.
  • 1989
    The new ageing cellar was opened
    The ageing cellar, also known as the “vault”, is a vast underground room where the various wines are allowed to age according to the specific characteristics of their class, in an ad hoc micro-climate.
  • 1997
    The Ubaldo Rosi wine joined the Colonnara family
    Ubaldo Rosi, a Brut Metodo Classico Riserva di Verdicchio DOC, became a member of the Colonnara family and immediately enjoyed considerable success.
  • 1998
    The Verdicchio Superiore Tufico, a late harvested wine, was born
    The Verdicchio Superiore Tufico was born, which takes its name from the type of soil in the vineyards where the grapes used to produce this wine are grown. It is a wine which immediately earned important national and international awards.
  • 2000
    NaThe Verdicchio Lyricus was born
    The Verdicchio Lyricus was born, conceived for those encountering Verdicchio for the first time. Its name is a reminder of the all-embracing path of melodies and harmonies for those who taste this wine.
  • 2002
    The Verdicchio Passito Sanctorum was produced
    The Verdicchio Passito Sanctorum was produced for the first time, a dessert wine whose name intends to evoke the Sancta Sanctoroum, the place for seeking presence, silence and a profound dialogue and where one can gather the most beautiful and the most precious of all things.
  • 2010
    The Luigi Ghislieri wine was born
    The Luigi Ghislieri, Brut Metodo Classico di Verdicchio DOC, was produced for the first time. This wine is dedicated to the Cooperative Chairman of the same name, who in the 1970s restored the Cupramontana tradition for sparkling wines.
  • 2013
    International award for the Ubaldo Rosi wine
    The Ubaldo Rosi, Brut Metodo Classico Riserva 2006 di Verdicchio DOC, received the Gambero Rosso award of 3 Bicchieri. This was the first time that a sparkling wine from the Marches had received this award.
  • 2014
    Colonnara became a member of marchedoc
    On 1st April Colonnara joined up with another cooperative from Pesaro, called La Morciola, thereby establishing the Marchedoc società cooperativa agricola, a symbol of the spirit of cooperation and union which inspired the founder members of the Winery in 1959 and that is still present in the company even today.

BACK ON TOP